The small scale allows for uncomplicated resident management and makes Pocket Neighborhoods easier to place on small urban lots within existing established neighborhoods, preserving and incorporating existing buildings.
Buildings are constructed to inherently conserve energy, incorporating numerous green building technologies.
Features of The Aurora St. Pocket Neighborhood include:
- Located within an existing neighborhood in downtown Ithaca, with services and amenities within walking distance
- Nearby access to public transit, reducing car dependence
- Private living spaces and common facilities arranged around a common outdoor space
- Food producing landscapes with fruit and nut trees, berry bushes and vegetable gardens
- Facilities for composting of all organic garden and household wastes (except sewage per local health codes)
- Airtight super-insulation for cozy energy efficiency
- Shared tools and equipment